Latest statistics show that in 93 percent of cases, an external attacker can breach an organization’s network perimeter and gain access to local network resources. Experts agree that the number one weapon for combating cybercrime is education of the masses. The more informed the masses are about the impact of cybercrime and how it’s orchestrated the easier it becomes for organizations and individuals to protect themselves
Every October, Milima Security joins the rest of the world to celebrate Cyber Security Awareness month. This is a collaborative effort between the industry and Government bodies to make cyber security relatable to every Ugandan by providing them with resources they need to stay safe online.
Cybersecurity Awareness Month (CAM) was launched by the National Cyber Security Alliance and the U.S. Department of Homeland Security (DHS) in October 2004 as a broad effort to help all Americans stay safer and more secure online. When Cybersecurity Awareness Month (CAM) first began, the awareness efforts centered around advice like updating your antivirus software twice a year to mirror similar efforts around changing batteries in smoke alarms during daylight saving time among others.
Through the Milima Cyber Academy, we partner with different agencies to engage with the public and partners through activities and events to raise awareness about Cybersecurity. Over the past years, organizations have swiftly embraced the need for Cybersecurity and this month emphasizes the need to equip people with resources and tools needed to stay safe online and improve resilience in the event of a cyber event.
This document provides details of the scheduled activities, timelines and key participants.
THEME: SEE YOURSELF IN CYBERSECURITY
The 2022 campaign theme “See Yourself in Cyber” breaks down cybersecurity, demonstrating that it’s really about the people. As we focus on the “people” part of Cybersecurity, Milima looks to educate the public and organizations to make smart decisions while online by providing information and resources for how to keep precious personal data safe whether on the job, at home or at school.
Week #1: Cybersecurity Education & Personal Responsibility
Human error continues to top the charts for biggest causes of data breaches in organizations. Education and awareness training of each individual is the first step to curbing the increased data breach incidents companies continue to face.
During the first week, we shall emphasize the importance of basic to advanced Cyber Security skills for every individual pointing out their responsibility in building and maintaining trust and resilience in this Digital Economy.
Week #2: Cyber Security in Businesses
As the industry swiftly thrives and employers appreciate the need for skilled professionals, businesses need to realize the impact of the digital era on their operations. Online presence and transaction is on a rise and continues to thrive in all sectors.
In the second week, we shall focus our discussions on building and maintaining trust in a Digital economy.
Week #3: Cybersecurity Career Awareness
Panel discussions: Skilling, mentorships, internships, career change and much more
HACKING CONTEST ! Teams to take part in the biggest annual hacking contest for GRAND PRIZE.
Date: 20th-21st October 2022
Venue: IUEA- Kansanga
For inquiries call: 0756-742395 / 0778290491
Week #4: Personal Cyber hygiene & Online safetyAs technology and the internet continue to become more accessible and affordable, hackers have ripe grounds for victims on all platforms. The users have little or no knowledge of the risks they take up by sharing daily personal updates. They have in turn become victims of cyberbullying, identity theft, human trafficking, conmen and defamation among others which affect their public image and lead to depression.
HOW TO PARTICIPATE IN THE OCTOBER CYBERSECURITY AWARENESS MONTH 2022
Organizations are invited to run internal campaigns for the October Cybersecurity Awareness Month, Milima has a full-blown program for the public. Should you be interested in taking part or just attending, be sure to follow closely using the various social media handles.
Here’s how you can directly be involved:
- Social Media campaigns HERE – HOW TO RUN A SOCIAL MEDIA CAMPAIGN
- PARTICIPATE IN THE Cyber Security Career Awareness Week HERE
MODULES TO TRAIN
We invite you to join us in observing Cyber Security Awareness month, an effort to increase personal responsibility among teams. Commitments come in all sizes and don’t always require financial investment.
Host your inhouse cybersecurity training using our free materials.
You can host an event, distribute cyber security awareness materials, or engage through social media. Be creative!
Small and Medium business Cyber security training resources.
- Phishing Attacks HERE
- Passwords and Multi Factor authentication HERE
- Work from Home HERE
- Secure your devices HERE
- Social Media HERE
- Download free shareable infographics HERE
WHAT YOU NEED TO ACHIEVE
- Inspire, Engage, and Inform Society
- Inspire, engage, and inform the public about the demand, opportunities, and multiple career options available within the area of cybersecurity.
- Demystify Careers in Cybersecurity
- Raise awareness about pathways to prepare a highly skilled and diverse workforce for careers in cybersecurity to include expansion of knowledge
- Develop a Highly Skilled and Diverse Workforce
- Support successful programs and showcase effective resources, especially those that increase participation of women, minorities, persons with disabilities, and other underrepresented populations.
- Raise public awareness
- Increase awareness around the opportunities, multiple career options and their demand within the field of cybersecurity.
- Highlight the multiple pathways to enter the cybersecurity career field.
- Encourage female inclusion in cybersecurity through different resources and programs.
POINTS TO NOTE:
- Cybersecurity has something for everyone! Skills are needed from a diverse range of backgrounds.
- Cybersecurity is a dynamic field so you will never be bored. Cybersecurity evolves quickly so you will always be learning and developing new skills.
- There is a high demand for a talented cybersecurity workforce. IT and cybersecurity is predicted to be among the fastest growing and best paying jobs over the next decade.
- Cybersecurity plays a vital role in the lives of all and the cybersecurity workforce makes a difference in our world.
In addition to this self-help proposal, we are happy to inform you that you can profit from our rich experience by inviting a team member to facilitate any of the sessions you will organize internally.
This will however attract a small stipend which will serve as facilitation for the identified Milima team member to come to your premises and deliver a session. The amount in question is dependent on factors like the location and time required. These can be discussed on a case by case basis, and should be communicated in advance to allow for necessary preparations and scheduling.
Every single effort to curb Cyber Crime takes us a step closer to Cyber safety and resilience. With a safe Cyberspace, we are in position to go about business with much more confidence in the different technologies we employ to enable our work. Wishing you the best in this Year’s Cybersecurity Awareness Month.
Should you have any inquiries or need help, please reach out to us via these contacts;